Connecting the Dots

 A brief review to recap what I wrote previously. My first post is “Boot Camp Organization”, which is about my experience in Army and how Army could be related to organization operations. The second post, “Discussion About Opportunism”, is about how selfish person act to maximize their own profits regardless others, which may cause reduction on community’s welfare. “Knock Knock Housekeeping” is the third post talking about my experience as a crew leader in housekeeping department. The fourth post is about a hypothetical scenario which illustrates how the Illinibucks Program works.

After reviewing those posts, I found it is quite easy to follow the logic. All posts have some relationships with organizations and discuss few critical components which companies should have. These components are goals, rules, and participants. I will explain them respectively below.

Firstly, a good organization must have clear goals which are known by all managers or employees. In my first post, the goal of squad leaders in the boot camp was to train privates well. Goals in my second post are ambiguous since too many examples were given. Though, we can still tell that either an individual or an organization wants to higher their own interests. The housekeeping department I mentioned in the third post has rather clear goals: finish the assigned missions fast and efficiently. In the fourth post about the Illinibucks Program, I assumed that the school’s goals are eliminate unfairness and improve academic qualities. The importance of setting goals is to give employees or individuals some objects to work toward. Most of time, an organization wants to maximize profits and minimize costs. The company could ask employees to work to death and try to lower supervision costs. However, things do not usually go the way that an organization expected. That is the reason companies need rules.

Rules are as vital as goals. Once organizations set up goals, rules must be set up as well to make sure employees are working on the same goals as the company. I mentioned the importance of rules in almost every post except the second one. Rewards and punishments should be included in rules, so people can expect what they will get when following rules or breaking rules. My first post about boot camp discussed some topics of rules and how privates act according to the rules. Also, I emphasized how rules motivated my crew to work in the third post.

 It does not necessarily mean that organizations will operate well after having clear goals and strict rules, participants are an uncertainty that companies cannot control easily. Like in the first post, some privates didn’t feel like following rules even though that they knew there were punishments. I especially talked a lot about those people who jeopardize others’ welfare in my third post. In that post, we call those guys opportunists and they do not really care about companies’ goals or rules instead of their own interests.

Consider all components I mentioned, that is why management is important to a company. Good management can set up feasible goals and reasonable or motivated rules. Even more, good management should make employees feel that they are part of the team, and they do not want to deviate from company’s goals or rules.

In the beginning I didn’t really see how my posts are connected to each other. We wrote about transaction costs, opportunism, and team works which all seem unrelated. Then I started notice that few key words kept showing in my posts, like “goals”, “rules”, etc. Some connections became more and more clear to me. All posts we wrote have something to do with organizations’ management. A company could enlarge its profits by reducing its cost, such as transaction costs. Moreover, the existence of opportunism in a company could ruin company’s plans; sometimes, teamwork could be a method of solving opportunistic problems. For example, team members could motivate each other to work on the same goal of the team instead of only caring self-profits.

Through those posts, I got chance to practice how to structure an essay. I used to just sit in front of my laptop and type in all stuff in my head, which is not efficient and lack of logics. Furthermore, it was painful when you have no ideas inside your head and have to keep sitting in front of the laptop for hours. Now, I’d rather give myself few days to think about the prompt, and jot down some ideas on paper before I start writing. I also changed the way that I gave examples. I found it is better to just focus on an example and try to depict it as detailed as I can. Compare to a single example, few examples are easier to mislead readers and make them confused.


My opinion about the prompts is that few examples about how to connect questions will be great. Sometimes it took me time to think about how should I compose my essays. For example, should I write a consecutive essay or just answer each question separately? Except from my struggle to struct an assay which answers every question, I think writing is a good way to connect old knowledge or experience with new knowledge. 

Comments

  1. I'm going to respond to your last paragraph and then work my way up to what you said earlier. A big issue for me as a teacher is whether students can discover things on their own or if they need to be shown ideas ahead of time. I believe that discovery is a more powerful way to learn - provided the discovery does happen. So a question back at you is whether it would happen for you if you had enough to time let it happen. If enough time is hours, then it really would be better for me to let you work it through. If enough time is weeks or months, that is probably too long to wait. Then I need to give you more of an idea up front so you can produce something tolerably good from the time of the prompt to the time the post is due.

    As to your change in writing process - what you said is good. You are doing this in the way I've envisioned for the class. I hope you get even better at it over the remainder of the semester.

    Regarding your comment about rules, we haven't spent time in class talking about organizational learning, but it is an important idea. Successful organizations learn and their processes evolve as they learn. Some rules might encourage that, but other rules might be too rigid and block it. So I think you need a more nuanced idea about rules and whether they are good or bad. Goals, as distinct from the rules, are generally a good thing. Even there, however, one must be sure that the various organizational goals are mutually reinforcing. It is possible to find examples where individual goals are each meritorious but where taken together the goals conflict with one another. That may be one reason why organizations that do strategic planing revise the plan periodically.

    I want to add to your list of what good organizations do, which is to empower members to act on behalf of the organization. In some of your examples, the members didn't seem so empowered. In the Army one, you explained that as a lack of rationality on their part. I wonder, looking backward at it now, whether you might be able to consider other possible explanations for the behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that students can learn better form discovering things, if the difficulty of discovering is reasonable. I am glad that I learned some useful knowledge from your class since the difficulty seems reasonable for me. Sometimes it feels great to yell out: "Eureka!" when I find solutions.

      Recently, I read the paper written by George and Rachel, which is one of papers you provided. I learned that identities are an important that could influence people's action. This concept changes my way of thinking rationality. I believe that those privates who broke rules could still be rational because they were acting based on different identity of mine.

      Delete
  2. I think your reflection was very valuable and well written! You were able to look back and your past posts and see the connections, as well as the importance of what you wrote in a broader context.

    I really like how you talked about organization perspective and the different attributes that are included in that. The structure that you gave in terms of responding to this post was different than I took, which I appreciated seeing how you did that. Your reflection in terms of the actual writing of the prompts was great, I think that structure of communication is just as important as the words being written. Being efficient and effective in structuring writing can be difficult, but I think that you've done a great job with that so far! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Job Choice Under Uncertainty

Boot Camp Organization